Collage

Collage

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fancy Schmancy

I don't mention it a ton on here, but I really enjoy cooking. Its just the hubs and I, so lots of times our meals end up being simple and small in quantity. I'm always on the lookout for meals that are healthy and can be made cheaply! However, every once in a while I like to splurge a little bit and make a nice meal for us. Last night was one of those occasions. The menu? Cracked pepper french bread rounds with mild brie cheese and Gouda with a creamy bisque style mushroom soup. Simple, elegant, and satisfying. (We did have oreos for dessert, but that's not really part of the elegant part!)

I started by sauteing a gourmet blend of mushrooms in a skillet with oil, cooking sherry, and a small amount of chopped onions (hubs doesn't really like onions, so I try to keep them to a minimum.) I also seasoned with the essentials :)


The mushrooms were an actual prepackaged "gourmet blend" from Wegmans, my favorite grocery store. It had Bella, oyster, and a few other types I didn't immediately recognize.

After those got all soft and yummy I added the soup. I'm not a huge soup fan, so I haven't made a lot of it, but I decided to try this soup from Wegmans. Even though the package just said to heat it up, I obviously bumped up the flavor by added the sauteed mushroom chunks and onion.  The soup had a nice flavor, very mushroom-y without being stale or overly salty like other prepared soups we have tried.


Wegmans also has an awesome cheese shop. Like I mentioned above, I chose a nice mild brie and a gouda for our meal last night, but they probably have hundreds to chose from. 


Yeah, I ate some of the Gouda while cooking. I was hungry! We were so hungry, in fact, that I didn't get a photo of the yummy bread rounds (seriously. I even ate one without cheese, they were that good) or one of our finished plates. I think the winner of the night was the brie cheese- hubs thought it was fantastic, and even I, who has a love-hate relationship with brie cheese, thought it was pretty darn good. A culinary win for me!


No comments: