Collage

Collage

Friday, February 13, 2015

What I'm Reading 1

This Friday I thought I would do an update on my reading goals. I think I'm doing pretty good on my goal of 48 books this year, with 9 read so far. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I know once I stop breastfeeding I will lose that and my pumping time, which will really put a dent in my reading time. I'm hoping to get the bulk of my 48 books done in the first half of the year to account for that :)

Here's what I read in January!

Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke


This series is fun, and I like the premise of a bakery as the backdrop for the plot. Its definitely a little cheesy at times, and the characters can get a bit stale, but for the most part its easy and enjoyable reading. I haven't tried any of the recipes that are included, but some of them look really good!

Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke


Part of the same series as the book above, I remember wondering if I would get to this in time to read it around Christmas. This had a fairly predictable ending, but other than that I thought it was a nice addition to the series.

Mission to Murder by Lynn Cahoon


This series is just ok. I don't like it as much as the one mentioned above, even though the initial premise is similar. It seems like the fact that Jill (the main character) owns a coffee and book store is always dropped as soon as there are more interesting things happening. Since that's the part of the story I like its a bit disappointing. Still, its nice for a bit of easy mystery reading. I would recommend the Hannah Swensen series over this one, but if you are in the mood for "fluff" reading, give it a try.

The Chase by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg


This series is fun because anything Evanovich writes is bound to be funny. I don't love the romance part of it, because that's just not my thing, but it's easy to get past it. I think my favorite character is Kate's Dad. He reminds me of my dad if he had pursued a career in special ops :) 

M is for Malice by Sue Grafton


I had put this series down for a long time, and just picked it back up again. I don't know if its because it has been so long since I have read these books, but this one seemed particularly moody. Not bad, and still had an engaging story and mystery, but Kinsey seemed particularly affected by the events that transpire. As far as mystery series go, I would say this one is less fluff reading that the others, but at times maybe a little harder to get through also. This could be because I found the mood a little depressing though. Either way, I will be moving on to the next book soon.

The New Mom's Guide to Living on Baby Time by Susan Besze Wallace


This book was loaned to me by a friend (along with a few others that seem to be part of a series but I haven;t read them yet) and I started reading it right before I had Carter, and then would pick it up whenever I thought of it. Honestly, I don't hate it, but I didn't love it either. There wasn't anything new or particularly helpful, and I can remember getting a little offended at some of the assumptions they were making. Mind you, I was reading this during the hormone craziness of just having given birth, but in general I'm pretty easy going and it takes a lot to offend me. I'm not sure if I will read the rest of the books, partly because I think they would have been helpful to read a few months ago.


Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich


I don't know how Evanovich keeps coming up with funny content 18 books later, but she does! I probably sound like a fangirl, but even though these are very light and "fluffy" reading, they are entertaining and laugh out loud funny. The only thing that I wish was different is that Stephanie is still in limbo with the two men in her life. Make a choice and move on girlfriend! Though I suppose that would alleviate some of the humor in the book. If you haven't read this series yet you should give it a try!

I realize looking at my collection here that it looks like I read nothing but light mystery and Janet Evanovich. Honestly, I don't have the brain capacity to read really deep books right now, and I do read other genres but these just happened to be the ones I got to last month. More variety coming next month, I promise!

Lastly, obligatory Carter photo:

Baby in browns!

What have you been reading lately?

No comments: