Collage

Collage

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Beginning of the Long Haul

I've been working away on the Moderne Log Cabin blanket for my friend's wedding. See?


This is the first square about 2 minutes before I finished it and bound off. I'm hoping to pick up stitches and start the second square either tonight or tomorrow, whenever I can find 20 minutes of quiet time :) I'm trying really hard to stay on top of this project because I know that even though its not hard, the endless miles of garter are going to slow me down.

I've also been working on a few other projects. I had a shaky start with my Marsh Stripes socks. These are my first pair of socks for me and it took me a while to get the right stitch count. Here's where I'm at right now:


I discovered that, at least for stockinette socks, my secret to a good fit is to go up a needle size after the heel. My feet are a little narrow but I have thick ankles, so going up a needle size gives me a little bit more room. I hope to start some patterned socks in June, so we'll see if I'll need to do this with those as well.

Lastly I started a little project as a birthday gift for a friend. This is going to eventually become the Tabitha the Destash Kitty even though it doesn't look like much right now :)


This project has gone pretty quick so far- this took me about an hour? I haven't made too many stuffed animal type knits before, so I'm a little nervous about the seeming, attaching, and stuffing, but I figure I can handle it :)

Part of the reason I am trying to stay on schedule for the blanket is the pattern I will be casting on in about a week: the Rousette Shawl. I'm wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew with this one. The lace portion is entirely charted out and I (not being a fan of charts) am not sure if I'm going to rewrite it into written directions or just plow through with the chart and hope for the best. I plan on increasing both the stockinette and the lace section as well. The pattern includes directions on how to increase the stockinette portion, but I'm a little lost as to where to increase the lace. Hopefully it all comes together soon!

No comments: