Collage

Collage

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Finish or Frog???

So, you may have noticed that there is a project that has been over there ---> with the rest of my current WIPs but hasn't gotten much attention. Its my Gideon's Jerry, which is Rebecca Danger's Jerry the Musical Monkey. The finished product is super cute, and my friend who had a baby this summer went with a monkey and jungle theme. I knew I wasn't going to finish Jerry by the time Gideon was born, but newborns can't do much with a stuffed toy anyway, so I figured I would finish it by the time he was a few months old and would actually be able to play with it.

It turns out I dread working on this project, and therefore it hasn't gotten a lot of love. I've been working on it for at least two months, and here is my progress so far:


That's the main body, two arms, two ears, and the start of a foot. I think the main problem I have with this project is I should have chosen a larger needle size. I think I am knitting the DK yarn on size three needles, which not only hurts my hands after a while, but is just plain hard to knit. Also its a fiddly project, which I half expected since its a toy, but I am not looking forward to seaming all those pieces together. I plan to use the rest of the yarn to make a baby surprise jacket, and every time I work on this I just keep thinking about how I would rather be knitting a baby sweater instead.

I estimate that I am about halfway done with the monkey. Is it worth it to push through and finish since I'm this far? Or should I put it away for a while and knit the sweater? Or frog what I can and reknit it sometime later with bigger needles?

No comments: